Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Spring Garden 2008


The weather was beautiful on Sunday so Lillie and I planted our organic garden complete with a spooky scarecrow.


Our fall garden last year was pretty sparse due to some ravenous birdies. We took some old clothes and filled them with leaves.


Lilliepie was loving the dirt and all the digging.

I poked out some holes and gave her some big toe carrot seeds to plant - I'm pretty sure she put all 50 seeds in one hole and covered them over.

We planted sugar snap peas, beefsteak tomatoes, purple haze carrots, baby bok choy, broccoli raab, golden beets and a bazillion other veggies in our family garden using the square foot gardening technique. If you haven't heard of it, check it out! The crops I'm the most excited about are the pickle gherkins. I'd like the kids food blog to be filled with pickle recipes for a month! I have so many pickle ideas, its not even funny. The mango pickles are out for this season - a frost knocked our 15 foot mango tree down to a 6 foot tree and killed all the blooms. Boo hoo.

I'll post the garden progress as we go. Stay away Jack Frost!

No comments:

Post a Comment